Thursday, December 16, 2010

New Coat Rack

When we cleaned out the attic in late October to prepare for insulating, we found this interesting drawer. It had no bottom to it, nor any pulls but the crackled paint on the front seemed very interesting.
I'd seen a coat rack in the Gardener's Supply Catalog that was made from recycled wood and so it gave me the idea to make this interesting drawer front into a new coat rack.

First I tore the rest of the drawer off, and then glued the crack in the front to make it stronger. Then I put one coat of polyurethane on it to protect the beauty of the paint. I bought some simple trim and painted it white. But when I set it next to the drawer front, it was too stark. So I did a second coat of a brown, and then wiped it with a rag to give it a textured appearance.
With the pieces ready to go, I handed off the project to my husband and my dad who was in town for Thanksgiving. They mitered the corners of the trim and tacked it on. They also set in places where the screws to the wall would go. Then the hooks were put over the screws so you don't seem them when it is hung.
We hung it in the front hall. Now we have more places for coats when friends and family come to visit. And I think mine looks better than the one in the Gardener's Supply Catalog!


meemsnyc said...

Wow, you did an amazing job. It looks great. I love the idea and think it does look better than the ones you buy.

Marcia said...

I again attest that it works great! I think I even left my hat on it when I was there. Bring it with you when you come please.