Thursday, January 14, 2010

Raspberry Muffins with Goat Cheese Filling

Inspired by this recipe from Eating Well which I read the night before, and raspberries in the freezer, I came up with a new recipe this past Saturday morning. These are best right out of the oven, but we have found you can make the cheese warm again by microwaving them in a paper towel for 1 minute.

Raspberry Muffins with Goat Cheese Filling
Ingredients
3/4 cup crumbled goat cheese (or cream cheese)
2 tbps honey
1 tbs orange zest
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries.

Dry ingredients
2 cups flour (can be 1 cup white whole wheat)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Wet ingredients
1 egg
3 tbsp oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1 tsp orange zest

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease a 12 muffin tin.
Mix together the filling ingredients in a small bowl (goat cheese, honey, orange zest, 1/4 tsp vanilla). Set aside.

Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Mix the wet ingredient in a smaller bowl. Add the wet to the dry, stirring to just combine. Fold in the raspberries.

Spoon half the batter evenly into the 12 muffin tins. Add 1tsp of the goat cheese mixture to each muffin. Cover with the remaining batter, so that the goat cheese does not show. Sprinkle with sugar and bake for 13-15 minutes until golden brown on top. Let cool 5 minutes in the muffin tin before tuning out on a rack to cool.

3 comments:

Daphne Gould said...

Those look delicious. I still have frozen raspberries in my freezer too. I ought to do something with them, but I keep thinking of saving them for summer sorbet.

Anonymous said...

I saw that you sent this recipe in for the family cookbook. Sounds scrumptious! When Gregg gets home from Africa, I will try these. Love you! Debi

Shaheen said...

Emily,
Wow - what an interesting combination. I want to make these. I have some raspberies in the freezer, so who knows.