Monday, September 20, 2010

Harvest Monday 9/20/10

The tomatoes continue to ripen, but slower now with the cooler nights. This week I harvested 14 pounds of tomatoes. I'm not canning any more, but rather am freezing them whole for use in soups and sauces this winter.I also picked kale and a few carrots. I also harvested my second eggplant. There are a few more that may mature before the season is over. In all, the eggplants weren't much of a success this year with only 2 so far from 6 plants.
I shelled the dried beans that I picked last week and weighed them. They were just over a pound.
I also harvested my first and probably only sweet red pepper. There are some green ones on the plant finally, but they don't have time to ripen.
Ripe winter squashes were harvested and set on the front porch to cure. I picked 25 pounds of buttercup, butternut, and Delicata squash. I also picked one 15 pound Jarradale pumpkin. There are 3 more Jarradale pumpkins that are not yet ripe, as well as a few butternut squash that are still developing. There are also about 6 pie pumpkins that are turning orange and I hope to pick soon.
Sunday night's harvest was at dusk, hence the flash in the photo. I picked 2 oz of arugula and spinach to make a pesto, along with tomatoes and 2 very small melons. The tomatoes are all larger then the melons.I picked the melons because they smelled ripe, though they only the size of tennis balls. The larger one tasted alright, but the smaller one was bitter. I hope to do much better with melons next year.

Total this week: 58.48 pounds
Total this year: 297.7 pounds

You can see what other gardeners harvested this week at Daphne's Dandelions.

10 comments:

kitsapFG said...

That bowl of black beans is really beautiful! The squash line up is pretty fun too. :D I grew Buttercup last year and it was very good eating.

Good harvest this week!

Sense of Home Kitchen said...

You had a very nice harvest this week, so much color. Gardens are slowing down and even being put to rest for the winter, so I'm impressed with yours. My garden is empty now except for the spinach.

-Brenda

martha said...

Fantastic looking harvest. It always amazes me that you can grow anything where you live. I've read the growing season is very short athere.

I'm going to try growing eggplants next year, but I too probably won't get many or possibly even any. But darned if I'm not going to try!

Dave @ HappyAcres said...

I think melons are tricky to grow, and it's sure difficult to judge the ripeness. I love your squash and dried beans! I wish I had room to grow more beans.

Daphne Gould said...

I envy those squash of yours. I was so hoping for a nice haul of my own, but it wasn't meant to be. Maybe next year.

Debbie in MS said...

Your harvest looks so good! The red pepper you did harvest is a beauty!

abigail said...

I'm so jealous of everyone's dried beans. I will have to plant some next year!

Ottawa Gardener said...

That is a very respectable harvest. I really love squash - the look, the weight, the variety. What kind of black beans were those?

miss m said...

Well your melons did better than mine ! The only two I got looked like kiwis. lol.
Fabulous squash harvest. Glad to see that jarrahdale reached maturity. :) Fingers crossed the weather cooperates for the others to ripen. Beans look really lovely.

Great harvest !

Nourishing Words said...

Looks like you've had a pretty good year! I love your squash lineup, and your tomatoes. My tomatoes just up and quit on me a week or so ago; I think I should have pruned them more heavily at the end of the season. So much to learn every year...