Tuesday, January 4, 2011

2010 Canning Summary


Looking back, I neglecting posting about my canning in 2010. In fact, I hardly photographed it. Here's a list of this year's canning exploits. Much of this was given as gifts during our Christmas travels.


Strawberry Rhubarb Compote 5 (1/2 pints)
Strawberry Preserves (4) 1/2 pints

Strawberry Lavender Jam (2) 1/2 pints - More of this next year

Strawberry Juice (3) pints

Cherry Marmalade (8) 1/2 pints

Cherries in Syrup (2.75) qts,

Asian Pickles (4) pints (These were an experiment and I over-cooked them. Mushy pickles are not so good)

Bread & Butter Zucchini (2) pints

Crock Cured Dill Pickles (3 quarts) This was an interesting experience. I canned half of them and put half in the fridge. My mom says they are too salty so I didn't give any away. I also haven't opened the ones canned to compare the texture. My husband doesn't eat pickles so these are going very slowly.

Bread & Butter Pickles (9) pints
Blueberry Lime Jam (11) 1/2 pints
Lime Juice 1 (1/2) pint

White Grape Juice (4) pints
Dilly Beans (7) pints

Annie's Salsa (22) pints - I was very happy with this recipe. I used only the added tomato paste, not tomato sauce. We made it spicy and with the acid used 1/2 c. cider vinegar 1/4 c.lime juice, 1/4 c. lemon juice for a balanced flavor.

Tomato Sauce (3) quarts

Tomato Juice (2) quarts

Cider Jelly (15) 1/2 pints
(pictured above)
Apple Sauce (7) pints

This comes to a total of (49) 1/2 pints, 62 pints, and 8.75 quarts, for a grand total of 51.25 quarts, or 12.8 gallons. Now to work on enjoying what we haven't given away, as well as to eat up the fruit and tomatoes we have stored in our freezer.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a great list! We too give lots of homemade goodies away.

I also tried the Annie's Salsa, but feel like it is too thick and that mine was not spicy enough. If I try it again, I will use a different mix of peppers and less paste I think. But I might just move on to a peach or pineapple salsa recipe.

meemsnyc said...

Oh wow, you did so much canning! I'm jealous!

Unknown said...

Impressive! I cannot wait to get back to canning again this year. After I got pregnant this past summer, I was pretty sick so smelling food, let along handling it was out of the question :(

Daphne Gould said...

I haven't done an overview of my canning this year. Ah well. I'm guessing about 40 quarts all told, so not quite as much as you did this year. Next year I need to make jelly. I didn't make any this year as the year before I made too much.