Saturday, January 8, 2011

2011 Seed Order

I placed my seed order before Christmas with our local Coop. They do a bulk order to Fedco and get free shipping and 20% discount. They send me a post card with the order is in and I pick it up at the store. It's a nice advantage, and they are based in Maine so the varieties they recommend are adaptable to my cooler climate. Here's what I ordered for this year's garden to add to the seeds from previous years.

Beans & Peas
Fortex Pole Beans
Roma II Romano type Beans
Cannellini Dried Beans
Windsor Fava Beans
Mammouth Melting Sugar Peas

Corn
Dakota Blue Popcorn (I hope it will be a good experiment)

Squash
Coastata Romanesca Zucchini
Benning's Green Tint Patty Pan Squash
Marina di Chioggia Winter Squash

Root Vegetables
Over the Rainbow Carrot Mix
Touchstone Gold Beet
Red Marble Onion Seed
Varsity Yellow Onion Seed

Greens
Giant Winter Spinach
Winter Lettuce Mix
Red Tinged Winter Lettuce
Minutina
Pink Lettucy Mustard Gene Pool

Brassica Family
Piracicaba Broccoli (had to try this after seeing it in so many harvest photos last year)
Gustus Brussels Sprouts
Rainbow Lacinato Kale

Peppers
Boldo Hungarian Spice Paprika
Jimmy Nardello's Pepper
Carmen Sweet Peppers (on Henbogle's recommendation)

Tomatoes
Cosmonaut Volkov Tomato
Black Prince Tomato
Sun Gold Cherry Tomato

Herbs
Genovese Basil
Lime Basil
Bodegold Chamomile
Ziar breadseed poppy

My potato order had to be sent separately as the coop doesn't do a bulk order for those. I ordered 1# of Rose Finn Apple Fingerlings, 2.5 # each of Irish Cobbler and Adirondack Blue, and 5# of Romanze, a red-skinned storage potato.

The rest of the seed catalogs were waiting for me when I returned home from Christmas travels. However, as I paged through, there wasn't much that I was interested in. Fedco's catalog is so extensive that others feel brief and lacking in variety. Two things did catch my eye and that was artichokes and edamame. Thomas had such beautiful artichokes last year. The artichokes caught my eye in another catalog but when I compared prices, Fedco was still the best. So I'll put in a one line order for artichokes. Edamame will wait for another year.

This list is not the entirety of what I'll plant next year, nor is it all my new seeds. I picked up some seed packets on sale at the end of the season last year. They included American Flag Leeks, Gardener's Delight Cherry Tomatoes, Asparagus Yard Long Beans,
Dwarf Grey Sugar Peas, Laxton's Progress # Shelling Pea & Moon & Stars Watermelon. With the seeds left from last year, there is plenty of variety.

In less than a month it will be time to start some hardy seeds for the cold frame!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting to see what you grow in your part of the world:)
Take care,
Charlotta

Nourishing Words said...

Ah...the first sign of spring. Just when winter seems like it will never end, it's time to plan the garden. Thanks for the inspiration!

meemsnyc said...

How wonderful that you can order with your Coop! What a great way to get a discount. Artichoke sounds like it would be fun to grow. Same with Edamame. I've never heard of Cosmonaut Volkov Tomato, sounds interesting.

Anonymous said...

It is a great list of vegetables. I will be trying to grow artichokes this year too. I hope they work for us both!