Saturday, December 13, 2008

Grandma's Chocolate Snowflakes

These cookies go by many names in my family. When we made them growing up, they were always referred to as my Uncle Steve's favorite cookie. When I called my mom for the recipe they were chocolate cookies with powdered sugar. Her recipe was a little lacking in details, so my sister forwarded me an email from our Grandma with more specifics. Grandma called them Snowflakes. My cousin Elena's status on facebook mentioned them as Chocolate Crinkles. So I'm calling them Chocolate Snowflakes because I think it is important to have the chocolate in the title, because that's really what these cookies are about.

Chocolate Snowflakes

Ingredients

4 squares of unsweetened baking chocolate, melted
1/2 cup oil
2 cups scant sugar
1 tsp vanilla
4 eggs
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
powdered sugar

In a large bowl, combine the melted chocolate, oil, sugar, vanilla, and eggs. Mix well.
Mix the dry ingredients together in another bowl. Add in two parts to the wet ingredients.

Refrigerate the dough until it is chilled and easy to work with. When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 F. Use a teaspoon to scoop the dough and then roll into a ball in your hands. Roll the ball of dough in the powdered sugar.
Place on a greased baking sheet, spaced well apart because the dough spreads (about 9-12 cookies on a sheet).
Bake for 10 minutes or so, until they no longer look shiny or bubbly in the cracks of brown.
Let cool on the baking sheet for a minute and then transfer to a rack to cool.
We baked these today because our church puts together plates of cookies to thank the people who work in the buildings we use for our services and meetings. We also will keep a few for ourselves. I also baked two Eating Well Recipes:

1 comment:

browneyes said...

I ran out of powdered sugar (harder to find it here in China) when I was making the Chocolate Snowflakes with my students, so I've been using some sugar crystals instead. No snowflake effect, but they still taste really good. Some of them shaped them into hearts and stars and they still came out okay!