Sunday, December 21, 2008

Lussekatter

I came across a food blog called Lucullian Delights, and found this recipe of Lussekatter. I decided I just had to try it since saffron and cardamom are some of my favorite spices. I've used cardamom before in pilafs and curries, but never in baking. It was wonderful. My rolls didn't turn out quite as yellow as Ilva's because I had saffron threads, not ground saffron, but the flavor and some of the color was still present. We heartily enjoyed them as dessert and as breakfast too.

Here's her recipe, and below you'll find it again with my estimates for US measurements and adaptations:

Lussekatter

2 1/2 tsp dry active yeast
14 tablespoons butter
2 cups milk, plus a little bit more
scant cup sugar
1 tsp ground cardamom
small pinch of saffron threads
1/2 tsp salt
6 and 1/3 cups flour
1 egg
raisins

1. Combine yeast, salt, sugar and cardamom in mixing bowl.

2. Melt butter in sauce pan. Crumble saffron threads and add to melted butter. Pour milk in to pan and warm to just finger warm around 98 degrees F.

3. Add liquids to yeast in bowl and stir to mix.

4. Add the flour and mix well. I used my Kitchen Aid to knead the dough until it was smooth.

5. Cover the dough and let it rise for 1 hour.

6. Divide the dough into balls around the size of a fist and roll into snakes between your hands. Shape into S shapes and lay out on parchment lined baking sheet. Let rolls rise for 40 minutes. I noticed they didn't seem to change much as they rose, but that they did expand a good deal once in the oven. Make sure you leave room between them on the baking sheet.

7. Brush rolls with brushed egg. Top with strategically placed raisins.

8. Bake in a 440 degree F oven for 10-15 minutes. It took more like 15 minutes in my oven. Cook on a rack.

No comments: