Saturday, March 7, 2009

First Seedlings

The signs of spring on its way abounded today. I heard unfamiliar birds outside the bathroom window this morning. We had temperatures into the 50s this afternoon and enjoyed a bag lunch outside at a workshop we were attending. And my first seedlings sprouted!

I started six kale seeds on Monday and when we returned home this evening they had sprouted. I'm trying to be frugal with my seeds and only plant the number I have planned in my garden. So only six it is. It's exciting to see the beginning of the garden.
I thought I was going to be starting seeds just on the light of our east facing window, but unbeknownst to me, my husband had other ideas. He made a frame for a florescent light fixture this week so that I have a seed starting set up. I'll write more about that in a later post. It's too dark in the house now to get a good photo of it. So now that the kale seedlings have sprouted, they are under the light set up and will green up soon.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Isn't it great when the first seeds sprout. I should get my kale started, I am trying tuscano kale. It will be the first time I have grown & eaten kale.