Sunday, March 22, 2009

Seedling Progress

Saturday morning was sunny so I decided to put the seedlings on the window sill for a while and get some natural sun light. Here's an update on how things are progressing.

The kale started on 3/2 is doing very well. Some of them are beginning to develop their second sets of true leaves.

The arugula and freckles lettuce started on 3/14 has all sprouted. The freckles lettuce has two colors even on the seed leaves.
My spinach seeds were also seeded on 3/14. The seeds date to 2004 yet they germinated very well.
I also seeded six cilantro on 3/14 but so far only one has sprouted. The seed package says they take 7-14 days to sprout so I'll give the other five another week before I re-seed.

As a side note, I'm not happy with these peat pots I picked up at the home improvement center. The soil seems to dry out quickly, yet the pots have green mold on the outside of them! The black plastic pots are doing much better.

There is nothing on the calendar for seeding this weekend, and while the garden is no longer covered with snow, the soil is still frozen below the first half inch or so. Currently there is snow squall outdoors. Luckily it's unlikely to stick. Spring is slowly on its way.

1 comment:

Dan said...

You are growing some great looking seedlings. I have some kale started as well, it will be the first time growing and eating kale. I keep starting more and more lettuce, I have a feeling in a month or so I am going to be swamped with lettuce :-)