Saturday, February 6, 2010

A New Garden!

We made an offer and now have a contract on our first home. We're very excited about the house, the town, and the garden! We settle next month so I should be able to jump right into gardening in the new space this year. The previous owners had a larger section under cultivation and they have three fruit trees they recently planted.
Now I can start to plan for the spring and expand the varieties and amount of each vegetable. I don't have measurements of the space but I know it's much, much, bigger than my current space of (2) 3' by 8' raised beds.

EDIT: My mom asked, "What are we looking at?" The answer is that all the rowed hills of dirt show the area that was in cultivation. At the back are three tiny sticks of the newly planted fruit trees. The large mounts of snow are a snow fort the current kids built, and behind is a field owned by someone else. So most of the photo is the new garden space.

12 comments:

Marcia said...

What are we looking at in the photo you posted?

Anonymous said...

Woot! Congratulations!! I loved buying a house, the first year was scary wonderful, and they years have just gotten better. Best of luck you proceed. Can't wait for a visual tour!
Ali

miss m said...

Much much bigger and fruit trees to boot ? Fantastic news ! Can't wait to see the grounds.

Dan said...

Looks like a piece of heaven! Congrats and I look forward to seeing your new garden grow this year.

Rabia said...

Congratulations! Hope to hear more details at church tomorrow. :)

Marcia said...

That is an incredibly big garden! I clicked on the photo and was able to see the fruit trees behind. Are you still going to do square foot gardening and make beds?

Mrs. Mike said...

Hooray you! Hooray God!
Just in time to plant peas!

Daphne Gould said...

Congrats on the new house. I hope I get lucky and find mine soon.

Ottawa Gardener said...

That. Is. Exciting!

New ground to fill with plants. It's all ready to go too!

Unknown said...

Congrats! What kind of fruit trees?

Emily said...

Three apple trees. I looked this week during the home inspection and found that 2 are Cortland and the third is a multi-graft but it doesn't list what types on the tag.

Unknown said...

Be happy you know! We have a 110 tree orcahrd and have no record of the trees LOL. It's certainly been a learning experience!