Monday, August 2, 2010

Harvest Monday 8/2/10

This week cucumbers took the prize for the most weight in the harvest totals. I picked over seven pounds of cucumbers. I made one batch of bread and butter pickles, and started a crock of cured dill pickles. This is my first time crock-curing pickles so I'm excited to see how it goes. The recipe called for grape leaves to help aid in crisping and I was thankful for my grapevine on the front fence. I harvested about 3 oz of grape leaves.
Also in the photo above you can see my first raspberry. It made it in the photo but didn't last long enough to get weighed. This is the first year for my ever-bearing raspberries and I don't expect much but I was pleased by the large size and flavor of the berry.

The cucumbers took the prize in weight this week, but can't sit securely on that pedestal because I did not weigh my harvest of onions. I picked all my yellow and white onions and they are in the process of drying. I'll weigh them in the coming weeks and add them to my totals then.
Behind the cucumbers in terms of weight were potatoes, with 5 1/2 pounds. I harvested all my Irish Cobblers that were left and sampled some Yukon Gold and All Blues as I cut back their foliage this week.
Other harvests this week include zucchini, but I have stopped photographing all the zucchini I pick. They only make it into group shots like below. It was just over one and half pounds this week as I'm trying to stay on top of them and pick them when they are small.

Other harvests this week include chard, cilantro, basil, arugula, romano beans and cherry tomatoes. I'm still waiting for my green zebra to fully ripen, and then I'll still be waiting for the first large red tomato. I probably have another 2 weeks to go.
Total this week: 15.7 pounds
Total this year: 58.1pounds

You can see other gardeners' harvests at Daphne's Dandelions.

14 comments:

Marcia said...

Maybe you'll have tomatoes ripen while I'm there visiting.

kitsapFG said...

Such a bounty of cucumbers! I am hoping mine catch up to you soon. I am down to my last two jars of dill pickle relish and I need a restock soon - not to mention regular pickles. Lovely variety of harvest items you are getting.

Robin said...

I have never heard of using grape leaves to aid in crisping of crock cured dill pickles. I use a very very old recipe. Mine have been sitting on the counter for a week now. Nice potatoes and onions :)

Dave @ HappyAcres said...

From the looks of them, I'll bet those onions weigh in big too! Your harvest is impressive.

I hope you like those crock pickles. I made them years ago and they were yummy. As I recall I used alum to get them crispy. We don't eat a lot of pickles these days so I just make the refrigerator kind.

Daphne Gould said...

Love the potatoes. I grew them last year but not this year. I really miss them. Though I don't miss the worry about late blight.

michelle said...

Beautiful cucumbers and what a great haul of onions. Those beans, yum, I'm still waiting for my romanos to get large enough to harvest.

meemsnyc said...

Wow, you definitely got quite the cucumber harvest. How many cucumber plants do you have? I'm so jealous. I love pickles.

Thomas said...

Great looking harvest! It looks like everyone is drowning in cukes at the moment. If you have a good dill pickle recipe, please do share!

Anonymous said...

I started growing raspberries last year. That year I didn’t have much of a harvest. But this year I am very happy with the volume of raspberries harvested. I’m sure yours will start to produce more very soon.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful harvest! I too planted a few raspberry canes this year and didn't expect them to produce many berries. However, I have picked a few and they were delicious.

My cucumbers are producing like mad this year as well. I've made two batches of pickles and am at a loss as to what to do with any future harvest except give them away. This year cucumbers are my zucchini. LOL!

Emily said...

meemsync,

I think I planted about 18 cucumber plants, however I put them in close together. There are about 4 to 6 every foot and they are growing almost vertically. I have an 8 foot section of the garden where they are planted in front of the frames.

Grafix Muse,

I may try a cucumber soup recipe with my next batch. Though I'm making more pickles too to give as Christmas gifts with jars of jam too.

thyme2garden said...

What an impressive harvest you have! And how lucky are you that you just happened to have grape leaves to help keep your pickles crisp?! I love the idea of homemade pickles and jam for Christmas gifts.

Dan said...

The cukes look excellent! Still waiting on mine, seen some small ones today so it can't be long.

mac said...

Great harvest, those onions and potatoes look really nice.