Saturday, October 25, 2008

Plum Cake

I subscribe to a Tuesday Recipe email from Tori Ritchie. The recipes are always interesting by I think this is the first one I've used. It came just as we were wondering what to do with the rest of the Italian prune plums. They were getting soft and very ripe. We'd made a Plum Tart with the first part of them, but wanted to do something different. A friend came over for dinner on Wednesday night so that gave us a good excuse to make the Plum Cake. The batter was especially good with almond and lemon flavors. My plums were a little past prime and so it was hard to cut them. My other problem was that I didn't have a spring form pan and the plums sinking into the batter made parts of the cake weaker. So when I turned it out onto a plate, the middle fell a part a bit. It still looked and tasted good. I think I'll be using the cake dough recipe again with another fruit like apples or pears.

Here is what's left of the cake.

2 comments:

DP Nguyen said...

Plum cake sounds so good, and that looks awesome too. Are the plums from your garden?

Emily said...

There not from my garden, but from a local orchard.