Saturday, February 21, 2009

Mauve Yoke Cardigan

I came across this pattern (#22 Garter Yoke Cardigan) while browsing through Ravelry looking for my next sweater. I really wanted to knit something top down because I liked how I could try on my vest as it went and that there was little seaming to do. The pattern was in a magazine called Knit.1 in the winter edition. I couldn't find it at local yarn stores or bookstores so I ended up ordering the magazine from the publisher just for this pattern. Luckily, there are a few other top down yoke sweater I might try in there as well.

I started this sweater on February 8th and worked on it exclusively rather than bouncing between projects. In my better moments with the flu I was able to do some of it as well. I finished knitting it on the 19th and blocked it and sewed on the buttons on the 20th.
I modified the arms some because after knitting the first one, the sleeve was much too baggy around my wrist. I picked up 4 stitches under the arm to close the gaps. I decreased 1 st ever 5th row 4 times until back to original number of stitches. After 6” (at the elbow) began decreasing as follows. K to 3 before marker at line from underarm. SSK, K, slip marker, K, K2tog. K 3 rounds, then repeat decrease. I did nine decrease rounds. Then I knit to finish out the 15 1/2 inches as called for in the pattern, finishing with P 1 row, K 1 row, repeated 4 times.

I finished off the sweater with these beautiful buttons that matched wonderfully. I like this sweater a lot. I think I may make one in another color in the future.

3 comments:

Marcia said...

Lovely sweater. This is the one you wanted to do in another color but only found the mauve yarn. Right?

I think it might look better with a turtleneck or collared shirt.

nicole francine said...

Did you say you had to buy the magazine from the publisher to get the pattern? Do you mind if I ask how much it cost? I love this sweater - and it would be my first.
Nicole

Emily said...

Nicole,

I bought it here but when you search for Knit 1 magazines now I don't see that issue showing up. It may have sold out.

It cost 8.99 with shipping, but it looks like other issues cost 8.99 plus shipping.

Good Luck!