Today was a busy day in the garden. First we moved the composter back to it's summer-time position. The compost isn't ready yet, but we drained three gallons of compost tea from the base. I'll dilute this with water each time I need to water the garden from now on. Since we put the row cover on the beds, I decided to transplant my freckles lettuce, spinach, kale, and arugula into the garden. I want to see how they'll do under the protection of the row cover and I also needed to free up room under my light. I noticed that the garlic has sprouted up more and is greening up now that the row cover is on. I decided to experimentally sow some carrots, and placed a bottomless milk jug over one quarter of the seeds to see if that will help them sprout faster. Here are my transplants clockwise from top left: Freckles romaine lettuce, spinach, kale, arugula.
Here's a collage of my other seedlings clockwise from top left: my first tomato sprout a Roma,two pink heirloom seedling(seed saved), the first pepper about to peek through, golden beets, bright lights swiss chard.
And here's my volunteer tomato.
Today I planted more tomatoes, though if all my others sprout I won't need them. I'm not confident that all my others will sprout, because I saved some of the seed myself. Today I planted two Campbells Tomatoes (free seeds), and two Fedco Heirloom mix. I decided to try the egg shell potting method since I'm running low on pots. It was hard poking holes in the bottom without breaking the shell, but I figured if they have a crack, at least their supported by the egg carton.
I also seeded German Thyme and Oregano into small yogurt cups. I'm a little late getting these started but I just picked up the seeds at the grocery store today. Now the hard part of being patient for everything to sprout.