Sunday, June 6, 2010

The End is in Sight!

Yesterday I finished digging the last of my 11 annual vegetable beds. My husband recently picked up the shovel to give me a hand at digging so that I could finally finish. I got the last of my pie pumpkins, melons, and zucchini in the ground. I also transplanted some annual flowers I started into amongst the vegetables. The only digging that remains is a 6' by 9' section at the back of the garden for perennial vegetables where we plan to put in asparagus and strawberries.

Now the most of green in the photo is growing because I planted it there and it will be producing food, not because it is full of weeds.

Other good garden news includes my shelling peas beginning to flower, potatoes taking off with their growth, little green tomatoes developing on my chelsea cherry tomatoes, lots of lettuce, and small apples and cherries developing on the trees. I'm lacking photos of these things because today we are blessed with some more rain. It's much needed after the dry month of May. Here is one photo I did manage to take of the green cherries on the tree.

2 comments:

Marcia said...

Great garden!

Anonymous said...

That is a huge accomplishment considering it is the end of the school year in addition to moving! I hope you enjoy the summer....