Friday, July 2, 2010

Grape Vine Wreath

Our green grape vine on the front fence was getting out of control. It was making it hard to open the gate so I took the clippers to some of the longer pieces that were encroaching on the hydrangea and other flowers.

I let the pieces dry for a day to make stripping the leaves off easier. Once I stripped the leaves I made them into three piles based on size. The shortest were about a foot and the longest were closer to 3 or 4 feet.
I started with one of the longest pieces of vine and formed it into a rough circle, wrapping the ends together.
I slowly added other pieces of vine, wrapping both clockwise and counter clockwise.
I decided that I wanted a substantial wreath and that I have plenty of supply for the future, so I used all the vine for one wreath. When I had wrapped the large and medium pieces, I used the short pieces to wrap more around the tube of the wreath, tucking in ends to secure them.

Now it is hanging to dry on the back deck and then it will make a good base for fall decorations.

2 comments:

Allison at Novice Life said...

Very Cute!

miss m said...

Lovely ! My grapevines are still tiny so I use Virginia Creeper to make mine. Probably not as sturdy but it does the job.