Monday, August 18, 2008

Beets

I harvested my beets on Friday. Though they were all planted at the same time I got 4 large ones and 3 small ones. No matter, they were destined to be shredded for a Beet Rosti from Mark Bittman. I didn't have quite enough beets for the recipe, so I peeled some carrots from the CSA as well. I thought the beets looked liked rubies once they were peeled.
The shredding on the Kitchen Aid mixer attachment was beautiful too. Neither of these pictures quite captures the sunset-like spectrum of colors. The first picture is muted by the flash, and in the second the red bowl makes everything a little more red.
Here are the shredded beets and carrots in the pan. I wish my kitchen had better lighting.None of the finished pictures were worthy of posting. However it sure was yummy. Nice and crispy on the outside, soft and sweet and warm on the inside. I highly recommend it.

No comments: