Saturday, August 9, 2008

Jean Quilt

I have made at least four quilts as wedding presents for friends and in the Spring of 2007 as my wedding approached, I decided I needed to make a lap quilt for two people for my husband-to-be and I. I have a large collection of used jeans and decided to make our quilt out of these. I also chose the jeans because I enjoy the weight the lend to a quilt. I tried to vary the colors of the jeans and piece them together in a well-balanced way to create a variety of lights and darks.

Our quilt is made of 5" jean squares with a 5 inch border of strips that were remainders when I recovered the fabric from the jeans. The quilt ended up being 68 inches by 55 inches because of the number of squares I was able to cut. The quilt is backed and bound with a blue cotton print. I used Warm and Natural Cotton Batting. I tied the quilt with a cotton yarn.
We keep our quilt in our living room on the couch.

3 comments:

Marcia said...

I've always liked that quilt. Maybe one day you'll make one for me.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful quilt! It was good to see you and Matthew in Michigan. Just wish it could have been for a longer time.
I am enjoying reading your blog. You are an amazing gardener - and quilter, too. Love you, Debi

Anonymous said...

I love this idea.. it will be strong, it won't be "precious" since a dog or cat could be on it and jeans material withstands anything. Thanks for the idea.