Saturday, July 19, 2008

Garlic

This morning I pulled one of my three varieties of garlic. It was the last variety to put up the garlic scapes (blossoms), so I had thought it would be the last variety to be ready. However, it was turning brown faster than the other kinds so I decided to pull it rather than risk it rotting. I pulled 6 heads. They're a bit on the small size but I remember that it was a rather small head that I planted them from.
The first head got damaged as I dug it up because I didn't realize how deep the garlic heads were. They were 4 to 6 inches below the ground and I mistakenly nicked the head with the trowel. Since the head was damaged, I didn't hang it to dry with the rest. Instead I brought it into the kitchen to dry so we can use it soon. I peeled off the outer layers of skin to see the size of the cloves. The other 5 heads were hung in the barn to cure for a few weeks.
Of the varieties still in the ground, one seems close to being ready to pull, while the largest variety is still on the green side. I'll be keeping an eye on them in the coming week.

1 comment:

Darlene said...

I love your new blog, Em! Looks like you're growing and cooking up great things as usual.