Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Onions

This morning I spent some time preparing for my fall garden by transplanting my last three Brussels Sprout plants and direct seeding kale and spinach. I also pulled some mesculn which was past it's prime and re-seeded more.

I considered pulling onions, but considering how wet it's been it wasn't the best time. However later this afternoon I decided I needed onions for dinner and we were all out. I went back out and pulled those onions which were smallest and had the most browned leaves. They ended up being almost all smaller than an apricot. I'm not expecting much from my other onions, I got them in the ground a little late, and half of them were in the shade of my mystery plant for much of the season. No matter what their size, I'll get my return on the $2 I spent on the sets.
Since they were so small I halved them and roasted them in the oven at 375 along with halved canned tomatoes (no fresh ones yet) and a sliced eggplant from the farmers market. Everything got a liberal dose of olive oil and some salt. Meanwhile, I simmered down the liquid from the canned tomatoes adding oregano and basil and a teaspoon of sugar. When the vegetables where done roasting after about 30 minutes, I roughly chopped them and added them to the pot. Now we're just waiting for the pasta water to boil.

1 comment:

Marcia said...

Looks delicious. I'll be bringing some white and light purple eggplant to the cabin if you want to use them in your sauce.

Sarah and I had Mexican vegetable stew tonight with fresh tomatoes, fresh zuchinni and fresh corn. It made a lot so I froze some and plan to have it again on Friday night when Grandma is here.