Tuesday, July 22, 2008

More Garlic

Today as I pulled the dead vines of the mystery plant of the tepee, I decided to go ahead and pull the rest of my garlic. We have gotten a lot of rain in the past few days and and showers are predicted for the rest of the week. I was afraid that the ripe garlic might begin to rot in the ground. I harvested 6 heads of the large variety and 5 heads of my medium variety. You can see the big difference in size. The larger variety could have probably stayed in the ground a little longer, but the medium variety had soft necks and layers of skin brush away with the dirt.


I found some notes from when I planted the garlic last year and found that the variety I harvested last week was purple skinned. The head of it I have hanging in the kitchen is turning purple as it dries. The rest in the barn doesn't appear to have that color yet.




Here are all three varieties hanging in the barn. The one in the middle is the purple skinned that I harvested last week.

No comments: