Saturday, September 13, 2008

Canning Corn

When I first got my pressure canner at a yard sale 4 years ago, I was excited about canning vegetables. But when I read the booklet and found that you had to still can it for almost an hour, I was a bit dismayed. Last year was the first year I actually used the pressure canner and I used it with tomatoes, which only take 15 minutes. I had to sit by the stove and adjust the heat to keep it at pressure. This year after canning three different batches of tomatoes and tomatillos I found I better understood how to adjust the heat to keep the correct pressure. Keeping the pressure canner at a certain pressure for 55 minutes didn't seem like it would be such a big deal any more. I decided to can corn. I know some people freeze it, but we have limited freezer space, so canning it makes sense for us.

I got one dozen corn from my CSA, but as I blanched and chopped it off the corn, I found it was only 2 quarts, so I got another dozen from the farm stand down the road. The CSA corn was a yellow and white mix, but the farm stand had silver queen (all white kernels). Looking at it canned, you really can't tell the difference. My total yield was 8 pint jars (4 quarts).

No comments: