Sunday, September 14, 2008

Quince Jelly: Part 2

Well I couldn't wait until a night later this week and instead of starting my lesson plans for teaching this week, I decided to make the jelly this afternoon. Having looked at pictures on the Internet, I was worried mine wouldn't turn out right because the juice was just a pale yellowish color. However in the process of boiling the jelly, it turned a lovely amber shade. I may have had it on too high of a heat because there was a fair amount of foam to skim off and some of it is incorporated into the jelly. The recipe said it would make about (3) 1/2 pint jars. I had a feeling I would end up with more since we had 6 cups of juice. We got a total of (5) 1/2 pint jars, and then another jar filled with foam skimmed off the top that went in the fridge. The foam tastes similar, but it just doesn't have the same nice texture as the jelly. As I imagined from my tasting of the pulp yesterday, the jelly tastes amazing. It is wonderfully complex, almost citrus but with a depth of other aromas and flavors as well.
Below find the five jars before we sealed them up.
We'll be passing one jar along to our landlady in thanks for letting us harvest the fruit. And I may be making more before the fruit falls off the bush.

The basic recipe from Joy of Cooking: All About Canning and Preserving.
(I'm posting the recipe because I see that this book is out of print and currently selling on Amazon for over $100. That's crazy! It's a great book and I don't know why they don't print more copies.)

Chop into 1/4 inch pieces:
3 1/2 pounds of quinces.
Place in large heavy sauce pan with 7 cups of water.
Cover, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer, mashing and stirring frequently, about 30 minutes until the fruit is thoroughly soft.
Strain through cheesecloth or jelly bag. Let sit for 3-4 hours to get all the juice out. Do not squeeze or you will get a cloudy jelly. Let juice sit in the fridge for 12-24 hours and settle.

Pour juice into large saucepan, leaving out the sediment at the bottom,
For each cup of clear juice, add 1 cup sugar.
Stir in 2 tablespoons bottled lemon juice.
Boil rapidly stirring frequently to the jelling point. Remove from heat and skim off any foam.
Pour the hot jelly into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch head space and process 5 minutes in a boiling water bath.

Yield is about (5) 1/2 pint jars.
Read Part 1

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds delicious. :)

DP Nguyen said...

It looks great! Canning is hard work, but it is definitely worth it!