Monday, September 1, 2008

Tomato Ripening: Part 2

View Part 1
Saturday
Sunday
Harvested
The second part of this series isn't as long as I thought it might be for two reasons. First of all, I realized on Sunday that the tomato was not turning orange and that it might be a yellow tomato. This was a surprise, but not unexpected since I never knew what type of tomato this was to begin with. Secondly, my husband will be traveling and taking the camera with him, and since the tomato seemed pretty ripe, I decided to pick it and take a final picture to post here. I'll have it ripen up a bit on the window sill for a day or two more before I slice into it. It's a large one, weighing 1 lb 3 oz. There is one more ripening on the plant, and then another green tomato of fair size. There are also these two tiny ones that probably won't make it before frost.


4 comments:

Marcia said...

That is one big tomato!

DP Nguyen said...

Those are some very nice, big tomatoes. Before this summer, I never knew tomatoes were different colors, but I think the varieties of tomatoes come in some many varieties of reds and oranges and yellows.

Zach said...

Wow, 1lb and 3oz, that is monster of a tomato...is an heirloom tomato? I just love tomatoes, I look forward to them each year!

~Zach

http://vioboy.blogspot.com

Zach said...

I saw in one of your latter blogs that you were saving some seeds! If you want, this whole month I will be talking about saving seeds from all sorts of plants, including... Tomatoes, Peppers, cucumbers, Snapdragons, and Prairie Mallow!

http://vioboy.blogspot.com